Sunday 4 December 2016

Shine Bright


It's almost December. Where did November go? Well, actually... It was just the other day I was thougth it is 2009, so maybe I should be asking, where did the years go? 

Social media is full of hygge this time of the year, I have noticed. Am I the only one thinking why such an ordinary thing as being at home, lighting candles, and enjoying life should be marketed as hygge, as a trendy thing to do? 

It is such a funny thing, that normal everyday routines during the winter time has a trendy name now and it such a fashion thing to do. Which is actually terribly sad, if you think about it. It is so so so so sad how many people need this hygge thing to stop and relax and maybe to lit one candle (and instantly put a pic to Instagram, of course) and think that wow, now I am trendy and I have done this, let's move on. People does not have time to just be still for a moment nowadays. Unles, of course, they are like me and just cannot do anything else anyway.

 I have to live my life at home, it's not something I have chosen, it's something that have happened me, and I have to accept it. It's winter. It's dark (extremely dark). It's wet. It's cold. Of course I try to make my days as cozy and comfy as possible, and that includes candles. Lots of candles. So maybe you get the idea? Hygge might be a perfect word for it. But it's not the point, I am not doing my life beautiful because it is trendy, I do it for me.


Other thing I have been thinkin lately is this mindfullness trend. Thinking that every second of your life counts, you should not waste one moment, you should enjoy it all, you cannot have a bad moment because that would compromise everything. If you feel sad, you have wasted precious moments. You cannot handle sorrow or pain, there are serious problems with your inner self, if you are not happy every single second of your life. I know, I am exaggerating, but maybe you know what I mean? Where is the place for sorrow, for tears, for feeling desperate, anxious, painful in this world of "enjoy every moment".

I am very, very blessed to be able to find joy in the little things in my life, and to be able to realise and think that those little things are actually the things that matter the most.  That it's just the little things that make my life beautiful despite all the - you know - less pretty parts of the life. Disabilities, pain, fatigue, letting go of most of the things that used define me, days in bed, brain injury, so rare diseases I am one of a kind, and all these close calls... But I strongly believe it is just because of these I can truly and honestly think life is precious gift. Because of these I can see the beauty of life, even if it is fragile and quiet one.


"Fall in love with your life" is a wonderful thought. I would like to think it would be the kind of love that is strong enough to last also the dark, deep days of living. Life is not only about laugh, happiness, light. It is so much more, even if it not often presented in magazines or in social media. (Well, of course it is, but only in a way to show how this strong person made it through hard times and the very happy end.) 

I see the pressure all the time around me, to have a perfect life. To make life perfect. I would like to scream my head of. Stop. Listen to yourself. Don't you realise? You have it already, you don't have to make it. Take your life as it is and accept that it will never be flawless. Life is beautiful just as it is. 




As Leonard Cohen put it so perfectly:  

there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in

There are cracks, holes maybe, in my or in everybody's life, but this only allows the light to shine even more brightly in. So shine bright. You are not alone. Life is about the cracks, it's about how you live with them and make them yours.


P.S. Sorry my Finnish readers, I still cannot write in Finnish.

HUOMAUTUS LUKIJALLE: Tämä on julkaistu vanhassa blogissani 24.11.2016
NOTE TO READER: This one was published on my old blog on 24.11.2016

2 comments:

  1. I shared your love of Leonard Cohen. And that last quote is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, how lovely we share this love (too)! <3

    ReplyDelete